Something needs to be done about Wieters

Pedro Cerrano

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think he's an $9-12 million a year player. Not the $15-20 million guy I thought he was going to be. What do I know, but...

This may be a great time to re-up him. EXTEND WIETERS NOW! Before he turns some kind of corner offensively.

Defensive catchers do not cost 9-12 million. They could sign a Jose Molina type for a million or two.

This is what I dont get- Hes a perennial all star instead of a perennial MVP candidate and people bash him? I know he was hyped but he's turned into a great player! He's actually a decent hitter, very good for a catcher, and thats not even his main job!

So what if he's not worth $25 mil a year, anyone who assumed he would be is delusional about how baseball works.

I know it can be frustrating to see him struggle at the plate, but his main job is not to hit.

Defensive catchers do not cost 9-12 million. They could sign a Jose Molina type for a million or two.

Jose Molina has never been worth a full win in a season, according to baseball reference. Wieters already has a 5 win and a couple 3 win seasons, which is why he'll get paid in the $10-15 range.

You're right because we're winning and he throws out a lot of base stealers he's immune from having his offense, which is poor, discussed.

The fact is, he bats too high, especially against righties who he absolutely stinks against. Once Betemit comes back I'd like to see him hit 6th behind Davis followed by Hardy and then Matt.

You're right because we're winning and he throws out a lot of base stealers he's immune from having his offense, which is poor, discussed.

The fact is, he bats too high, especially against righties who he absolutely stinks against. Once Betemit comes back I'd like to see him hit 6th behind Davis followed by Hardy and then Matt.

Against righties I should say. Betemit shouldn't play against lefties.

Pedro Cerrano. Known worshiper of false idols.

That facts our that this year Wieters is painful to watch at the plate. I really thought he would take a step forward this year with the bat, but instead he has really regressed.

An observation I just can't shake (all my own opinion) is that Matt doesn't look focused when he's at bat. He has a glazed over look (one could say lazy) like he is not mentally prepared for his AB. Counter Matt to Hardy, Jones, Machado, and Davis who all looke excited and locked in for every pitch. I think Matt needs some help mentally transistioning from his defensive game to his offensive game. Maybe that will come with more time? I'm remembering an article in MASN this Spring Training with some paraphrasing from Buck saying how Matt had just done something really well offensively in an intersquad (double, rbi single) and immediately left the bases to tend to the pitchers....and of course Buck was proud. I just remember being irked by that thinking Matt his not giving the proper attention to his offense game, and I think we may be seeing the results of that. (again only my opinion)

Archived